Sunday, July 12, 2009

Shirred waist dress


Photo from www.burdafashion.com


BWOF 7-2009-104




Fabric:
Cotton/silk shirting weight woven, it's produced by Robert Kaufman and I purchased it during PR Weekend in Portland in May. It's the same type of fabric that I used to make BWOF 6-2008-120 last summer. It is probably my favorite kind of fabric. It behaves so nice, like woven cottons do, but it's got a pretty sheen, and even a slightly sueded look when viewed at the right angle.



Notes on construction/alterations:
The shoulder seams are finished as flat fell seams so that when you roll up the sleeves, there's a nice clean finish inside.

Because I'm short-waisted, I moved all the shirring lines up by 5/8". I think even higher would have been fine too, for a very slight empire waist effect. Also, I followed Burda's button placement guide - I like how they grouped 3 buttons close together at the waist (but I just realized I forgot to move those up by 5/8" too - oops).

I have never tried shirring before, but I just fell in love with how it accents this otherwise simple dress, so I gave it a go.


Some sources I read say to do this by zig zagging over elastic thread, then you gather to the desired length and tie the ends. (This is the method that BWOF instructs you to use). Other sources say to wind the elastic thread tautly in the bobbin, and sew using a straight stitch. You may have a little less control of the final length this way. I did a couple of swatches of both methods and ended up using the elastic thread in the bobbin. I like how this looked better, and it gathered to the appropriate final width.


A few more changes in the interest of saving time:

1. I omitted the welt pockets

2. I finished the hem with 2 rows of topstitching (instead of a blind hand-stitch like I might normally do)

3. I stitched on the buttons using my sewing machine! I think I tried this feature when I first got my machine, and I don't know what took me so long to use it again. We'll see how long they stay put though.



Conclusion:
I adore this dress - kind of 1950's feminine and sweet. Which is usually not my style, but this works for me. I highly recommend this dress.


-------------------------------


Things will be quiet around here for the next week or so. I'm heading to Atlanta for work this week (this new dress is coming with me) and then next weekend will be spent in Las Vegas for a friend's birthday. I sent my sewing machine away for some much needed R&R at the "spa" (my SM dealer, where it's getting a tune up).

48 comments:

Lisette M said...

I love this dress on you! And the previous one from the July issue is prettier than the model's

Anonymous said...

The dress and shoes are ideal! I have used elastic shirring on my girls' dresses and love it. Been meaning to use it on a dress for myself by omitting the darts.
You look sensational. Have a good trip!

Little Hunting Creek said...

Great dress! This is the same one my daughter wants me to make for her. It looks great on you.

Meg said...

I love this dress on you. Thanks for the tips on shirring; DD has her eye on some dresses that require this. You look like a model in these photos--does DH get credit for pushing the button?

Shannon said...

What a breezy summer dress (that can certainly be worn into the fall). I love it!

Erica Bunker said...

What a lovely shirt dress! The shirring at the waist really takes it up several notches!

Linda said...

Love this and the purple dress. I didn't even give this dress a second look and now I have to make one. It's absolutely adorable.

Maggie said...

Really wonderful job. The color is a great choice for this dress. And these shoes are also interesting. Could you provide a like to those if they are available?

Adrienne said...

I love this! The shirring is wonderful!!

katie said...

Wow this is really lovely. Great job.

NancyDaQ said...

It's darling! You look so cute in it.

Faye Lewis said...

That is wonderful, I love the way the skirt part of it fits you.

poplin said...

You look gorgeous! Thanks for the tip on shirring.

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness I didn't even notice this dress in the july issue until NOW!!! I am loving that shirring and you are right about that fabric, I may have to go get me some.

Gorgeous!

Lori said...

That is a great new dress.

VClassics said...

The dress is wonderful. I am new to sewing and have been following your blog for about a month. I enjoy your creations. Keep up the great work!

Sigrid said...

Lovely dress. The shirring is beautiful.

Rachel said...

You look so cute in that dress!!! It is wonderful on you. Thank you for addressing the topic of shirring. I have never done it before either, but there is a BWOF top in a previous issue I want to make that calls for it.

okie2thfairy said...

Cute dress! I didn't even see it in the mag but now I'll have to take a look at it. You're really getting a lot of cute outfits finished. I use Fray Check on my machine sewed buttons to keep the threads from unraveling.

marLou said...

Love the dress, style and color. Beautifully done! I had bought elastic threads just last week and now, I'm even more inspired to try out it out for the first time after looking at your dress.

Gail said...

Love love love the dress. I am very partial to solid neutral colours. July BWOF looks very promising...only 2 more months before it hits our shores!

Maryissewfast said...

Amazing shirtdress! I received some yardage in a Fabric Mart bundle that screamed "SHIRTDRESS"...now I know which one to make! Thanks for the inspiration.

Sheila said...

Fabulous shirtdress and especially the shirring.

cidell said...

Apparently, you are on a mission to prove me wrong about the July 2009 edition of Burda. I accept that. This dress, is supercute and absolutely works for you.

Have a safe trip and take photos of you wearing all your fun clothes!

Cindy May said...

so fun seeing these latest creations. you have a great eye. I love the "swing" of the shirt dress and I am hating on you for carrying off that shoulderless smock!! looks fabulous!! .... of course.

Tany said...

Fabulous! You are building up an amazing wardrobe!

Jenny said...

I love this dress! This color looks great on you too. Thanks for the feedback on construction. I totally need to make one now.

BConky said...

I'm so glad you made this dress. I was thinking about making it for my daughter but wasn't sure about it. You look adorable.

Jean said...

Cute dress!

Janice in Camas said...

Another pattern that didn't speak to me at all from the mag but now I'm in love with it! Thank you, thank you.

Sarah said...

I love the dress- it looks great on you!

Linda L said...

I really like this dress! Looks great on you.

Sue said...

Catching up with reading your blog - love both your bwof dresses you have made recently - lovely fabrics and they have turned out beautifully!

Carolyn (Diary of a Sewing Fanatic) said...

This is a cute dress on you! Have a great time in Atlanta and Las Vegas...you are getting around!

Bridget Wang said...

The color looks really nice on you! It brings out the highlights in your hair.

Mon Café Couture said...

Beautiful dress and you wear it so well.

Jorth said...

Wow - that's one gorgeous dress! I always wind my elastic on the bobbin, as I've found it gives the best result.

Vicki said...

this dress looks fabulous on you. Great job. And you look so cute in the purple dress in the previous post. And finally love the hair do :)

Cennetta said...

What a great summer dress and the shirring is perfect.

Dawn said...

Hmmmm, I just bought this Robert Kaufmann striped cotton and I've been thinking about what to use it for. Your dress is perfect for it. I might, uh, have to do it too.

Anonymous said...

lovely dress - nice pattern, colour and inspiring!

Kathi said...

What a cute dress!! I looked at it in the magazine, but your version is much better. The material makes the shirring stand out so much more.

kathleen said...

I notice you passed on the welt pockets. I've never been a fan of the single welts, just my preference. Any how, if you're ever looking for a tutorial on doing those, see these:
http://www.fashion-incubator.com/tutorials/

Btw, very nice work!

TheLuxuriousVagabond said...

I must admit that I'm not normally a fan of collared dresses, but this is really cute! I like your choice of color--it makes what could be a proper look more...edgy I guess?

liz said...

very cute! would you say that the thread from the shirring is itchy? i use it for stuff for my daughter all of the time, but did it on a shirt for me and couldn't stand wearing it... she doesn't seem to mind though.

hey- i don't know if you have a need for home dec weight fabric, but i'm selling some from my stash and know you like a good deal. it's joel dewberry and amy butler for only $7/yd. handbags? pillows? bottom weight stuff? ...

Saionara/Blu-Brasil said...

Good morning, Christina

I am Brazilian, live in the city of Blumenau SC
Very beautiful dress your congratulations, I think its very different projects, I have a taste similar to the more it can not hope that the more you see your projects as an inspiration w / end it .... hehehe

Beijossss.

Saionara.

AllisonC said...

Super cute dress that I totally overlooked in the magazine, yours is much much nicer!

Deepika said...

Ok, I love the dress but I REALLY love those shoes and the purple polish. You and Renee got me hooked to polish. I have such funky colors in my stash :) But its so much fun.