Wednesday, May 20, 2009

PR Weekend 2009 - Portland, OR


Phew! I came back from Portland on Sunday a bit exhausted but it was worth every minute. What a great group of women. I had met many of them last year during PR Weekend in LA, but of course there were several new faces, and I especially enjoyed meeting Jaeng, the designer of the infamous JJ Blouse on BurdaStyle, and Emilie, heiress of Jalie sewing patterns. Emilie let us all try on their new jeans (Jalie 2908) and right then and there I forgot my vow that I would never sew jeans. I ordered the pattern as soon as I got home.

Here's what we our weekend entailed:
Friday - tailoring & fit seminars with Patti Palmer
Friday night - chatting & gossiping till the wee hours
Saturday - shopping trip to Fabric Depot, Josephine's Dry Goods, Bolt, and the Mill End Store
Saturday night - chatting & gossiping till the wee hours

I didn't go too crazy during the shopping trip. I bought a few notions and drapery lining (not pictured), here's the fun stuff:





Cidell came with me back to Seattle and her visit here just flew by. We brainstormed ideas for an upcoming project of hers, and she explained to me how to interpret the Mrs. Stylebook drafting instructions.


She recognized my photoshoot area right away so we took a pic together there.

I just realized that I have a 4-day weekend coming up! I am psyched. I have lots of sewing energy bottled up now from the Portland trip, so now I can unleash it.

17 comments:

Nancy Winningham said...

I know you'll come up with some very creative and "hip" creations with your new finds. I feel like I didn't really get to talk to you at all this weekend but I kept seeing you from afar! It was a great weekend and even more fun than LA - maybe because we knew more people this time. Glad you and Cidell got to spend some extra time together.

Elaray said...

From every account that I've read, it seems like Portland was great. You scored some gorgeous fabrics.

cidell said...

Thanks again to you and the husband for having me! It was such a great trip. I'm gathering photos for the project!

Meg said...

Looks like so much fun. Hopefully you can come to the east coast when it comes back here.

Carolyn (Diary of a Sewing Fanatic) said...

You showed such restraint in the fabric purchasing! Glad you and Cidell had a great time together!

Gretchen the Household Deity said...

Ooooh, so jealous of your silk cotton. I found some at Paron several years ago and it was a dream to sew. I'm glad PRW was so much fun!

Melissa said...

It was such a fun weekend, I miss all that girl time already! So great seeing you again! :-)

Johanna Lu said...

Oh your trip looks like so much fun, I loved looking at the photo collage. And I drool over the cotton/silk too, have not sewn it but I own a a couple of garments with that mix and they are wonderful!

Cindy May said...

the "photoshoot" are shot is hilarious. and you guys actually look slightly wiped out....from the long weekend. too funny.

Cindy May said...

that didn't sound quite right. you guys look fabulous!! i just recognize the post Portland daze that was on my own face when I got back:)

Ann Made Studio said...

Looks like you guys had so much fun!
Thanks for sharing the pictures :)

Anonymous said...

Oh yes, what delicious fabrics you picked up! It will be tres exciting to see what you do with them!

Christy said...

Looks like fun!! WHY WHY WHY is there no fabric store here that is even half the size of Fabric Depot????

Cindy May said...

Hey, i recognize that mesh? print you are wearing. I bought some at Fabric depot! did you make?

Cindy May said...

Hey, i recognize that mesh? print you are wearing. I bought some at Fabric depot! did you make?

Tany said...

It sounds like you had a great time!!

Beth said...

I love Fabric Depot! It literally took my breath away the first time I visited.