Thursday, May 24, 2007

Poutine, and the power of the internet

Mmm... poutine! - Photo by Evan Sung for the NY Times

Okay, I just had to share this with you.

Remember last week, when I asked if anyone has any suggestions on what to eat/do in Montreal? Cidell urged me try poutine, a “wonderful disgusting diet breaking bowl of french fries, gravy and cheese curds”. Sounds good to me! That was the first time I had ever heard of the dish.

Well… yesterday, the NY Times published an article on this Quebecois delicacy, which got me even more excited to try it. They mentioned a website, montrealpoutine.com, that is a great reference, especially their list of 24 hour poutine joints.

Then… this morning, I’m browsing the Seattlest site, when I see yet another mention of poutine! It’s written in response to the NY Times article, and they say that Aussies are also fond of poutine, so an Australian chef at a local restaurant has got it on the menu.

So after all this poutine hype, I am dying to have some!

6 comments:

lupinbunny said...

'kay, that second journo was clearly on drugs. I'm Australian and I have NEVER heard of or seen anything that resembles poutin in my life. Logically, given our history, there's little French influence on our food. More Mediterranean/ Asian as a rule. Though chips'n'gravy is relatively common (a staple at my uni ref). Though that thing does sound good.

Christina said...

Interesting! Well I definitely take your word for it, lupinbunny. Who knows where he came up with that information...

renee said...

For years I have tried to get people to eat this and they make faces. I feel so validated now! You know I like it so much that every winter (the only time they will ship) I order two pounds of curds from Wisconsin. I am so excited for you!

Anonymous said...

In New Jersey, that is called "disco fries" and is a great diner food that is often consumed at about 3 am. I think instead of cheese curds, mozzarella is used, but it's basically the same type of idea. But yeh, disco fries is very New Jersey and ordered VERY often! (And it's yummy!)

Christina said...

Disco fries - love it. That sounds like the perfect 3am food indeed.

Anonymous said...

We have similer here in Scotland, but it doesn't have a fancy name! Basically just "Chips, cheese and curry sauce, or Chips, cheese and gravy etc etc! My son introduced me to it, and it is delicious although totally laden with calories! We Scots have a reputation of having a terrible diet, but now I am happy to know we are not alone! Your site is great, fantastic sewing! Mary Anne