Wednesday, November 25, 2009

There actually is some sewing happening over here...

Not much, but some!


Nothing too exciting, frankly, but can you ever have enough comfy knit tops?  I bought this pattern because I really like the gathered neckband.  It turned out to be very fiddly and time-consuming! I made View C, and the only change I made was to skip the elastic in the sleeve cuffs and finished it with a narrow sleeve band instead. The fabric is rayon lycra jersey from Fabric.com that I bought in June.


I do have to rave about a notion that I used for the first time - SewKeysE by Emma Seabrooke fine fusible knit interfacing. I bought this at Fabric Depot during PR Weekend Portland in May. It's basically fusible tricot that's cut 1.25" wide, used to stabilize knit hems. It fused onto my fabric easily and beautifully. I'm hooked! So much nicer than cutting interfacing strips yourself. I have a roll in black and a roll in white.

In a few hours, I'm boarding a plane to the SF Bay area to celebrate Thanksgiving with the in-laws. I'm bringing this along for the ride:




I love the Seattle Public Library!  This is the only Threads DVD I found there, I hope they get in more soon.

On Friday, I have an exciting day planned that involves sewing friends and fabric stores...

Have a great Thanksgiving everyone!

13 comments:

Trudy said...

Cute top. Thanks for the interfacing link. Have a great trip and Thanksgiving

Ann Made Studio said...

Happy Thanksgiving!

Very nice top.

Carolyn (Diary of a Sewing Fanatic) said...

Cute top and the fusible interfacing on the roll is very kewl! Have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

Digs said...

Very cute & comfy top! Happy Thanksgiving!

Marybeth said...

Very cute! Happy Thanksgiving!
http://puppydogtails-marybeth.blogspot.com/

Sheila said...

Lovelyt top.. I've made 3 of them, but did view A which is the dress and just cut it and the neckband is fuss free. If you decide to do another one try view A.

Sheila said...

Have a safe trip and an awesome Thanksgiving.

meredithp said...

You'll like that DVD with Louise Cutting. She's got some great methods. Happy Thanksgiving!

Curry Made said...

Happy Thanksgiving! Love the top. One day, even I shall sew with knit fabrics :)

NancyDaQ said...

The Threads DVD is great! I hope you enjoy it.

senaSews said...

Nice top! Looks cute on you!

Summerset said...

Nothing wrong with comfy knit tops! Happy Thanksgiving!

Reethi said...

Cute top! And thanks for the heads-up on the notions - my knit hems always look terrible, and I'm desperately searching for a solution. So, you didn't sew the hem at all? Just used the fusible interfacing instead?

(My library has David Coffin's Shirtmaking book, but I've been on the waitlist for over 7 months. Evidently, Toronto has more sewists than I think.)