Saturday, May 10, 2008

"And I loooooove you"



Hot Patterns Riviera T-Shirt


With a name like "Once, Twice, Three Times a T-Shirt", how could you not get Lionel Richie stuck in your head? If you need a refresher, here's a video of Lionel performing live in 1987.




Fabric
Drapey rayon/lycra jersey from my local fabric shop.

Notes on pattern construction/modifications
I made the "frilled sleeve" top and lengthened it to wear as a dress. One thing to note about this top is that the wrong side of the fabric wil show on the sleeves, so you'll want to make sure you use fabric that looks okay on the reverse side, or line it.

I fall between an 8 and a 10 on the Hot Patterns size chart, so I cut an 8 on top and flared out a bit as I lengthened it to dress length.

I experimented with a zig zag stitch to finish the raw edges but I didn't care for how it looked, so I decided to use a fusible tape to finish the sleeve hems.



Lite Steam-a-Seam 2 is designed for sheer and lightweight fabrics.



Because the sleeve hem is curved, I cut small pieces of the fusible tape and aligned them with the curve. I pressed with a warm iron to fuse, with silk organza in between the fabric and the iron as rayon/lycra jersey really does not tolerate heat well.



The result is a clean, fluid hem. Now, I have my doubts about how this is going to hold up in the wash! I really wanted an invisible hem look, but I may end up stitching them down anyway.



The bodice is essentially a rectangle, with just a bit of curving at the waist. As you can see, the neckline and shoulder seams are one long straight line. There are facing pieces included for finishing the neckline. I prepared those but in the end I didn't use them. I finished the neckline with Steam-a-Seam also because it was kust so darn easy! Again, I'll probaby stitch this down before washing.

Conclusion
I approached this as a 'wearable muslin' since people (including me) have had varying success with Hot Patterns. I can wholeheartely recommend the "frilled sleeve" Riviera tee, it's a super fast and easy project, especially if you are looking for a fun party top or dress. This would also work great in a woven fabric. I'm planning to make another!

Leslie pointed out to me this dress in the June issue of Lucky Magazine, it's a very similar look by French Connection. But I can guarantee you the cost of the pattern and 2 yards of fabric won't come anywhere near the $148 that FC is charging for that dress...


25 comments:

Carolyn (Diary of a Sewing Fanatic) said...

Very, very cute dress!

Melissa said...

Looks so cute on you Christina!

Anonymous said...

Cute dress. I'll bet the steam-a-seam holds up just fine. I used it to hem some medium weight twill pants, and it never showed any sign of coming apart.

Anonymous said...

So cute,Christina! Another great look on you. Fran G

Linda L said...

Really cute dress!

Lori said...

Christina, this is darling on you. Great job.

Lori said...

Christina, this is darling on you. Great job.

BCN - UNIQUE designer patterns said...

Christina .- thank you for your visit to my blog. I knew your blog through the blog Geri (Sewable). I love your work and style that give to your clothes. congratulations. Greetings from Spain and see you soon. Best wishes. Paco

narcissaqtpie said...

I love your style! I was loving that dress from lucky too, now I need this pattern.

cidell said...

omg. omg. omg. I am in LOVE with this. In l-o-v-e. I am making a mini dress this summer and if I can work it half as well as you I will be batting a 1000!

Leslie said...

WOW. You are workin' it in that photo girl, the dress, the cuff, the SHOES, and that sassy look on your face. I love it!! Thanks for the info about steam-a-seam, and please let us know how it holds up in the wash. Don't you just love rayon jersey? Very nice.

loopylulu said...

Very cute! Must get my grubby hands on this pattern.

Maryissewfast said...

Wow Christina! You are one hot Mama in that dress! Hooray for wearable muslins! Mary

Lashell said...

SUch a cute dress and I love the color.

Nneka said...

You're such an enabler! I just ordered that pattern. I won't make a minidress, but you look great in yours.
-Nneka

yaiAnn said...

Very cute!! It's all about wearable muslins right now!

Tany said...

WOW1!! You look so HOT!!! It's beautiful, sexy and so stylish!! Fabulous job!

Angelia said...

You look hot in this!!! Thanks for the review!!!

Dk's Wife said...

Very nice! It looks good on you. Thanks for posting about the hem tape. I am making a knit shirt that will need an invisible type of hem.

C. Dishmont said...

You look too cute!

Katrin said...

Very cute! However, I would wear this as a shirt :-) - but you are looking great - ready to party!
Regards,
Katrin

Tearsa Smith said...

Sexy!!! Love it!

L-Del Sews said...

Super cute dress! Also, did you know you are a total trendsetter? I hopped on Macy's website and saw their trend report, which sounds like they've been reading about your SWAP wardrobe!
http://www1.macys.com/campaign/women/trendreport/styleFS.jsp?cm_re=45.0.15-_-WOMENMAINAD-_-IMAGEMAP%20--%2046271%20--%20May%20Womens%20-%20global%20village%20main%20ad

laura said...

I was happy to see that you used steam a seam. Keep us posted as to how it holds. I also tried a zig zag on a very stretchy jersey and no matter how many adjustments I made, it just looked awful. I need to find out what I'm doing wrong.

Sushila Chamling said...

HI..couldn't help commenting..The blue dress is absolutely georgeous..I love it..:)