Saturday, December 29, 2007

Dashed hopes

Yes, I used ric-rac for one of the shoulder straps - use what you have!



This is my muslin for Butterick 5136 which I was hoping to wear on new years eve. Okay, I know I'm small busted, but you've got to be kidding me. I figured I'd have to improve the fit but I wasn't expecting this.

I think there are several factors at play here:

  • The fabric I used for my muslin is a slinky rayon. I figured it would mimic charmeuse the best out of anything in my stash. Although I tried to have it totally on grain when cutting it out, perhaps it wasn't.
  • The bodice is self-lined, and the top horizontal-ish seam could have stretched out when when sewing (the fabric is cut somewhat on the bias).
  • Knowing what I know about Butterick (and the big 4) and how it fits me, I should have cut a smaller size for the bust. The waist is perfect, though.

At this point, I'm hesitant to try to improve the fit because I think I'll have the same issues with the silk charmeuse I was planning on using.

I guess this is what I get for waiting until essentially the last minute to start on this. The construction is very easy, but the fit is going to require some major finagling.

My two rational options at this point are to (1) find another simple pattern to sew that I've had experience with, or (2) find something in my closet. This sequin dress I got at H&M last month is more appealing by the minute...


11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, that's huge! I have the same problem with Butterick patterns, though. Good luck finding something to wear for New Years - at least this gives you a reason to go shopping!

C. Dishmont said...

OMG That H&M dress is hot! I can definitely see you in that for new years. As much as I love your sewing I say go with that! Atleast you wont be stressed with the butterick pattern anymore

cidell said...

I loooove that H&M dress. Fierce. I gave up on New Year's dress and went to Charlotte Russe for a throw away top for the night. Oy. Buttericks are big in the bust on me too and I'm not particularly small chested.

yaiAnn said...

Holy bejeeezus that's huge! But dude, that H&M dress, I'm ALL over it. Like Cidell said, FIERCE!

Berry said...

There's one more day to go, I'd say you can still fix the fit. If it fails wear the H&M dress with no regret, it's splendid! But I'm not rational ;o) plus I'm currently fighting with my last minute NYE project so you'd better listen to Cindy. No need to end the year on a high sewing stress.

Anonymous said...

wow, butterick is big on the upper portion on me too so I automatically go down a size, if really want to give it another go,, that would be awesome but don't let it get you down, I think you don't need the stress and that other dress is so "new years"

Leslie said...

H&M, H&M!!! It's really cute and honestly, when else would you wear that? Personally I'd get stressed and cut corners trying to finish something, I'd be happier if I waited and took my time. Larger busted ladies should take note of the butterick patterns apparently.

MéLisa said...

Ugh! That is huge! Geez....I don't know about you but I would go with the H&M dress too. Like Leslie I was get stressed try to find short cuts & probably mess up all that pretty purple fabric. Besides I think that the H&M dress jsut screams NYE!

Carolyn (Diary of a Sewing Fanatic) said...

Add my voice to the chorus of wear the H&M dress - Cidell used the right adjective - FIERCE! However at a later date, I think you should make the adjustments to the pattern because I think the finished dress in silk charmeuse will be just as fierce on you!

mimi jackson said...

The H&M dress is fabulous. Sorry your other one isn't going as planned, but it would need some major changes (and probably understructure) to become something you'd be happy with!

Love the kimono PJ's!

Kitty Couture said...

Don't worry about it Christina, you can always complete this project in 2008. I can really picture you in the H&M dress, it is totally your style. You are going to look very hot tonight!