Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Happy Halloween




First let me say that I am not a costume-crazy Halloween nut (like some of my friends). I dress up about once every 3 years, and that is just to get those friends off my back! Well this year my time was up once again, and I had to get creative.



The idea of dressing up as a geisha popped into my head and pretty much stuck. My husband was visiting his parents in San Francisco a week and a half ago and planned to pick up a cheap kimono for me in Japantown (is there such a thing as a cheap kimono?). But then my mother-in-law offered to let me use her yukata (a cotton kimono worn in the summer) so he didn't buy one.


Tim brought the yukata home, carefully folded and wrapped inside a special box. My jaw dropped. It was absolutely gorgeous. A crisp white cotton with a delicate pink and grey floral pattern. And I'm guessing from the 1960s.


I absolutely loved it, but this yukata was way too nice for me to wear! Let's just say this costume party wasn't exactly happening at the governor's mansion; where we were going, I could just imagine some "naughty nurse" spilling her drink all over me and not even noticing.


So Thursday I made a beeline for Joann to find cheap fabric for my costume. Thank goodness the Asian-inspired polyester brocades were 50% off because I needed a lot of it.


I actually wasn't too stressed about the sewing. I used McCalls 4304, a now out-of-print pattern with several styles of kimono tops. I had made one of the tops before. For the costume, I lengthened it to my ankles, and I lengthened the sleeves as well.


I did, though, use my mother-in-law's obi, so I didn't have to sew up one of these. I don't know what I would have done without these obi-tying instructions. And Tim. I think the wearer is supposed to be able to tie the obi herself, but my long sleeves (and inexperience) got in the way. This is one of the times that I appreciated what a perfectionist my husband can be, I think we/he did a great job considering this was our first obi-tying experience; it only took us three tries.




I found the zori (shoes) at Daiso, but not the tabi (socks) so I just went without.


The wig is for some reason called "couture geisha wig" on all the internet stores. With a name like that, how could I resist?




Here are a few pics of my non-costume version of M4304. I used a jersey fabric to make this blouse, and it really is one of my faves.

Thank goodness it's finally Halloween because the candy I bought for the trick-or-treaters is not going to last much longer in my house!

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your costume is very cute!

Erica Bunker said...

Love the costume and the kimono top is really cute!

Kitty Couture said...

Beautiful kimono! Love the colour.
Your top is lovely, too! Wow, you've been productive. Well done!!

Lori said...

Wonderful costume and beautiful top. I totally understand the candy situation, I haven't bought any yet!

renee said...

Ummm, ok. Your costume is awesome.

Kim said...

Oh this is just adorable. You look like the little doll in the glass case my dad brought me from Japan many moons ago. Hey, last night I spied a pair of the split toed socks, a red silk obi and authentic wooden sandals on a used costume rack at the Value Village on Holman Rd./15th NW if you want the socks for future wear. . .

Also, looking at the baby quilt prints in oranges made me smile when I saw it this morning. Just yesterday afternoon I bought an assortment of prints in about the same colorway at the Quiltloft ;^). Must be all this fall foliage having an influence.

And finally, I can see why this top is one of your faves. It is really wonderful, and very flattering.
-Kim

Anonymous said...

I've always wanted to make one of those costumes - yours turned out beautiful!

narcissaqtpie said...

beautiful costume & top! i wanted to go "Geisha" with kiddo this year, but she's still in her "spooky" phase. I'll have to show her your costume.

Sew-4-Fun said...

You look amazing in your costume! I also love the kimono top. What a great pattern!

Cherie said...

You do just go for it, don't you! Wonderful costume, I'm betting your husband loved it too! And the top and dress, TDF! Looks like an easy peasy dress to wear, no wonder you love it.

Bonnie O. said...

The costume is cute but I really like that top you made!

Anonymous said...

That's an awesome costume! Great job!!!

Tracey said...

Very nice on both counts.

C. Dishmont said...

To cute!

Vicki said...

Well it looks pretty "real" to me. You look great!

Love the short top version too.

katherine h said...

How fabulous!

Tany said...

Christina, I'm in awe with your costume!! It's FABULOUS!!!

Cennetta said...

Your custome is absolutely beautiful. Great kimono cute too!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.